Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Darjeeling Limited


Hey,

As I stated in a previous posting, I really like Wes Anderson films. His 5th installment in his catalogue is no different. The Darjeeling Limited is a story that revolves around the relationship of 3 estranged brothers, Francis, Peter, and Jack Witman (Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody & Jason Schwartzman respectively), a year after their fathers death. It was their fathers death that drove the brothers apart, but Francis is making it his duty to reunite them.

This movie is 100% Wes Anderson. If you are looking for a 'new style' of movie, this isn't it. It's his style. It has the standard dysfunctional family story, with elaborate, yet cheap/cheesy looking backgrounds, all working really well together.

The DVD also has the short film Hotel Chevalier, that prologues the film which I thought was an interesting way to start the film. The soundtrack, as per usual, is filled with great tunes.

Anyway, before I rant any longer about this, just go see it. I bought the DVD blindly, but thats because I like his work. It's up to you. I wouldn't say this is his best film, but definitely not his worst....is there a worst? This is a great film, but not his funniest. Worth the purchase in my eyes. Waiting for the next one.

Anyway heres my ranking:

**** - The Darjeeling Limited- due solely to it not being as funny as the rest and Bill Murray ...well...watch it.

N/A - Bottle Rocket - Haven't seen it in a long time

**** 1/2 - Rushmore

***** - The Royal Tenenbaums

**** 1/2 - The Life Aquatic

No comments: