Thursday, October 11, 2007

Radiohead



So, I've waited a day to say something about this album. First off its a lot more mellow than I thought. Thats not a bad thing, it just took me by surprise. The album starts off with a track that gets you right into the album, and in my opinion its the best on the album (open to personal interpretation I guess. However if you don't like the opening track, you suck).

As you progress through the album your hit with tracks that are in an arrangement not reminiscent of past Radiohead albums, however give the feeling of an entire full album. Comparable arrangements can be O.K. Computer, which shares In Rainbows' full sound.


Basically I really think this album is one of their best. Tracks like "15 Step," "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi," "All I Need," "Faust Arp," "House of Cards" and a makeover of "Reckoner" make you wanna listen to this album over and over. I honestly don't know what to expect with the second CD, but if its anything like this it's gonna be a great early Christmas gift.

If you haven't downloaded the new Radiohead album "In Rainbows" do so immediately. It's a must own/download, whatever. Get it.

Now I'll leave it to Panda to write a far better review than this.

Radiohead, In Rainbows 10/10, * * * * *

-Lead-

--------------------------------------------

so i guess it's my turn. i'll do songs:

15 Step - this is probably my favourite jam on the record. it's just the best; from the crunchy clap percussion to the fat baseline to the kids yelling "yaaay". ace.

Bodysnatchers - didn't love this live but they did it right in the studio. love that the amps sound broken or really stressed out or something.

Nude - finally.

Weird Fishes/Arpeggi - my favourite of the live boots and still pretty fuckin' great. wish the drums were bigger though.

All I Need - i don't care if it sounds a little like boards of canada's "roygbiv", this is a huge improvement from the live recordings. it seemed flat live but they managed to record one of their strongest tracks since amnesiac. um, the "it's alright" outro is my favourite thing on the record.

Faust Arp - not really feeling this. it's okay i guess. i was hoping it could be another Treefingers or Hunting Bears. whatever.

Reckoner - i was a little bummed when i realized that they didn't record this the way they played it in 2001, but it's already grown on me a lot. a good decision. thom's croon is his best singing ever... maybe.

House of Cards - i always really liked this song, and i still do. it's so nice.

Jigsaw Falling Into Place - second half is pretty awesome. could have let loose a little more though.

Videotape - phil's drumming. needed a bigger crescendo or climax or something. still pretty sweet.

so, on the whole, it's a mature record that sounds familiar but still new. really pretty, kinda spooky and warm at the same time. strong tunes that vibe well together, but it's not mind-blowing like kid a/mnesiac was. it's still early and i have lots of listening to do but i'm guessing it'll sit between amnesiac and the bends as my fourth favourite radiohead record. i'm sure all of my opinions will change the more i listen so i guess this has been a bit of a useless exercise , but it was still the funnest thing i did all day. anyway, here's to hoping that lp8 will be the dub record of the year in '09.

-daniel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dub would be alright, or maybe a jam album... I miss the drums on this record but maybe that's what makes these songs a little more sweet